TAP Air Portugal has announced that from October 11th, its Basic fare will be discontinued for tickets on European and North African routes. The move means that economy class passengers on these flights will now have a choice of three fares – Discount, Classic, and Plus.
The Basic fare was the second-cheapest of the airline’s economy class fares, nestled in between the Discount and Classic fares. A Basic economy ticket included one 8kg cabin bag and one 23 kg hold bag but did not include seat selection.
According to the Lisbon-based carrier, the decision was made to provide passengers with a “flexible and customizable offer with greater transparency, clarity and simplicity.” TAP Air Portugal passengers traveling on other intercontinental flights do however still have the option to purchase a Basic economy fare.
TAP Air Portugal has discontinued its Basic fare on European and North African flights. Photo: TAP Air Portugal
TAP Air Portugal’s remaining fares
Passengers on European and North African routes will now have a choice of three economy class fares and two business class fares (Executive and Top Executive). Let’s take a closer look at each of these.
- Discount – the cheapest fare, which includes only hand luggage
- Classic – this fare offers passengers a bundle of one cabin bag, one hold bag, and seat selection (Standard seat only)
- Plus – the airline’s most flexible economy fare includes both cabin and hold baggage, ticket changes and refunds, and seat selection (Standard or Comfort seat). Plus fare passengers also benefit from priority check-in and baggage
- Executive – the cheaper of the airline’s two business class fares, this includes two cabin bags, two hold bags, seat selection, and all the extras you would expect from business class, including onboard catering, priority check-in, priority boarding, and lounge access
- Top Executive – the carrier’s most expensive fare incorporates everything from the Executive business fare, but with the flexibility of ticket changes and refunds too.
The Basic economy fare will still be available to passengers on intercontinental flights. Photo: Vincenzo Pace | Simple Flying
TAP Air Portugal in Europe and North Africa
The removal of the Basic economy class fare applies to all of TAP Air Portugal’s routes in Europe and North Africa. The airline’s European route network stretches across much of the continent, incorporating major business destinations such as Frankfurt (FRA), London (LHR and LGW), and Paris (ORY).
In North Africa, TAP Air Portugal flies from Lisbon to Casablanca (CMN) and Tangier (TNG) year-round. The Star Alliance member also recently announced new seasonal routes to Djerba (DJE), Monastir (MIR), and Agadir (AGA).
TAP Air Portugal has recently expanded its North African route network. Photo: Vincenzo Pace | Simple Flying.
TAP Air Portugal’s short-haul fleet comprises 54 aircraft from the Airbus A320 family. This ranges from five Airbus A319s, seating 144 passengers, to 10 Airbus A320neos, each seating up to 221 passengers. The airline’s intercontinental flights are operated by the Airbus A330 – the carrier currently has three Airbus A330-200s and 18 Airbus A330-900s.
Have you flown on TAP Air Portugal’s Basic economy class fare? Which fare category will you choose for your next European or North African flight with the airline? Share your thoughts and experiences by commenting below.
- IATA/ICAO Code:
- Airline Type:
- Full Service Carrier
- Lisbon Airport
- Year Founded:
- Star Alliance
- Christine Ourmières-Widener